Sunday, February 20, 2011

Silly Fads From Our Childhood

When we were kids, we all wanted to fit in with the cool kids.  No matter what the popular toy or "it" thing of that year was, if they had it, we wanted it too.  It became mass hysteria and group obsessions. Parents paid big money so their kids would have the latest toy. As we've grown up, we have learned that everything goes in cycles and fads don't last, not even The Popular Kids stay popular forever. Recently, I was feeling nostalgic about my childhood and all the goofy fads that have come and gone over the years.
Here is what I came up with:
·      Pet Rock - Really? How was this ever entertaining? Yes, this was before my time, but how did the inventor become a millionaire from this? Why didn't I think of that?
·     Pogs -Slammer! I remember there would be groups of kids scattered throughout the blacktop sitting in circles playing at recess. Some schools banned this because it was considered a form of gambling by "keeping your opponents winnings".  
·      Beanie Babies - How could small stuffed animals be retired and worth so much? Why someone paid me $500 for my collection, I will never understand
·      Slap Bracelets - Tell me if you ever saw one today, you wouldn't smile and instantly try to slap it on? And then say Ouch!
·      Tamagachis - I liked this virtual pet for about week or so until I got tired of waking up in the middle of the night or hearing it beep in the middle of class because it wanted to play or eat. The best was when the thing would leave animated presents behind when I didn't care for it fast enough. Eventually, I think I took my own Tamagachis batteries out.
·      Silly Bandz (Is this still going on?) I was given a spoon last summer but even though I was told it was a spoon, I was still confused as to what was so cool about it. Not sure why this one caught on.
·      Tickle Me Elmo  - Mother's went CRAZY at holiday time for these. Do you remember the madness? This was even my friend's Bat-Mitzvah t-shirt theme.
·      Furby -  aka cute little gremlin looking toys - The gimmick here was that they could learn to talk and repeat what you said. They never seemed to work quite right but they did talk at the most unexpected times, like while you were sleeping.
·      Hypercolor Clothing - You know, the sweatshirts that changed color when you blew hot air on them? This fad lasted about as long the sweatshirts did after going through the wash and dry cycle once or twice.
·      Game Boy- Not so much a fad, but early Nintendo technology. The only gaming system I was allowed to own. 
·      Pokemon Trading Cards- a competitive trading and collecting game. I never played this one but I do remember this joke from when I was a kid: Q: Why don't you want a Pokemon around while you're taking a shower? Answer: Because he might Pikachu! Hey, I didn't make it up. Don't blame the cheesiness on me.

Looking back at all the goofy things that have come and gone, why did we want to do what the cool kids were doing again?
  
What did fads do you remember playing with when you were little? Do you remember any other fads that I may have forgotten? Please share them!


2 comments:

linda said...

I remember ALL of these except for Pet Rocks. People had pet rocks?! I may have to google this. I feel like I've missed out.

Caryn said...

Pet Rocks were before our time but still a crazy fad! In 20 years, I wonder what toys will be around that we'll look back and say, "remember that silly fad?!"

Post a Comment

Share this!